Friday, August 1, 2014

Post Second Transplant

Well we've made it through the second transplant and we're told that Tom may be discharged as soon as this coming Tuesday which would be day +19 which I believe is about where he was last time and to say this is the second time he's done this... that's pretty darn good!

He only spent one day (as opposed to the 4-7 they project) bottomed out on white blood cell counts (0.0).  He's been extremely fatigued, has bone aches, and is pretty nauseas on and off through the days, but his counts are doing really well.  He required a lot of blood transfusions last year around his transplant and he's only had one so far this time and two platelet transfusions.  I'd say it's all looking very positive, the doctor seems thrilled anyway.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to be off of work during this time so I only have to leave during the times that I have class, which happens to only be two nights a week.  There's a bit of anxiety surrounding his return home, one being that I'll also be returning to work and having to place a lot of faith in someone else (his brother) to be the caregiver he needs.  Now, it's not that I feel like anyone else is incapable, I think it's more the worry of something going array and me being at work and unable to help.  I'm sure things will be fine and we will definitely make it work... I just hope his recovery continues to be on the up and up and he's soon back and able to do things on his own.

It may seem to go without saying, but I can't say enough how much I pray and hope that this does the trick and he doesn't get any more secondary infections and the leukemia is gone forever and he can just be healthy and live a long and normal life.  I am so fearful of that not being the case but I feel so good about this transplant I think this is the real deal and he's going to be cured. I guess time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment